Provided by: hylafax-server_4.2.5-1_i386
faxsetup - setup a machine for use with HylaFAX
/usr/sbin/faxsetup [ -client ] [ -server ] [ -with-VAR[=value] ]
faxsetup is an interactive shell script that does the necessary setup
work to configure a client or server machine for the HylaFAX software.
faxsetup must be run on every HylaFAX server machine before the
software will function-if a HylaFAX server program or script is invoked
before faxsetup is run, the command will abort with a message that says
to run faxsetup. faxsetup may optionally be run on a HylaFAX client
machine to verify the configuration of the software.
By default faxsetup checks a machine for use both as a HylaFAX client
and server. Client-specific checks include:
· the installation of client programs and data,
· the installation of the Adobe Font Metric (AFM) information files
used by the HylaFAX text formatting support.
Server-specific checks include:
· the installation of server programs and data,
· the existence of the UUCP lock file directory,
· the installation of the TIFF software tools,
· the configuration of the getty programs invoked for data and voice
· the pathnames for various system programs used by server shell
· proper support for FIFO special files,
· proper installation of a POSTSCRIPT RIP,
· definition of a ‘‘fax’’ user,
· definitions for the ‘‘hylafax’’ and ‘‘snpp’’ services,
· startup of the HylaFAX server processes: faxq(8) and hfaxd(8),
· definition of a ‘‘FaxMaster’’ mail alias for reporting server
For server machines faxsetup also creates two files that are required
by the HylaFAX command scripts. One file contains master configuration
parameters and the other contains various definitions used by scripts
such as faxaddmodem(8) that communicate with modems.
-client Do client-specific consistency checks.
-server Do server-specific consistency checks.
Override the default definition for the configuration
parameter named VAR; optionally specifying a new value (if no
value is specified then ‘‘yes’’ is used). This option is
especially useful to override the default settings for the
POSTSCRIPT interpreter package to use (e.g. ‘‘-with-
PS=dps’’), the spooling directory (‘‘-with-
DIR_SPOOL=/mumble’’), the directory where the tool
applications of TIFF software distribution are located
(‘‘-with-TIFFBIN=/usr/freeware’’), etc. A complete list of
the possible parameters can be found by looking at the
contents of the faxsetup shell script; many of these
configuration parameters are also described in the HTML
-help Print a help message and terminate.
-quiet Do not print verbose messages to the terminal.
-verbose Print informative messages to the terminal (default).
faxsetup does not query a modem to find out its capabilities when
invoking the faxmodem program to setup a server in a send-only
configuration; it may be necessary to run faxmodem manually.
/var/spool/hylafax/etc/setup.cache master configuration parameters
/var/spool/hylafax/etc/setup.modem modem-related configuration support
Consult hylafax-server(5) for a complete discussion of the structure
and content of the spooling area.
hylafax-server(5), hylafax-config(5), faxq(8), faxgetty(8),
faxmodem(8), faxconfig(8), faxsend(8)
August 26, 1996 FAXSETUP(8)