Provided by: hpoj_0.91-9_i386
hpoj reference: "ptal-devid"
ptal-devid [devname] [-previous] [[modifiers] queries]...
The "ptal-devid" command-line utility displays the entire device ID
string of a device, or specific fields if requested.
· "devname" is the optional PTAL device name
· "modifiers" affect subsequent "queries" and may be one of:
· "-previous" -- Retrieves previous device ID string if possible
· "-short" -- Displays field values only
· "-long" -- Displays leading field name through semicolon
· "queries" request specific fields to be displayed instead of the
entire string, and may be zero or more of:
· "-field fieldname" -- Queries specific field
· "-mfg" -- Queries manufacturer fields
· "-mdl" -- Queries model fields
· "-cmd" -- Queries command-set fields
· "-sern" -- Queries serial-number fields
All of the following examples are for a USB-connected HP OfficeJet G85.
In the first example, line breaks were added between fields in this
document for clarity. Normally, the entire device ID string is printed
as one line, and it should line-wrap on your display.
$ ptal-devid mlc:usb:OfficeJet_G85 MFG:Hewlett-Packard; MDL:OfficeJet
G85; CMD:MLC,PCL,PML,SCL; CLASS:PRINTER; DESCRIPTION:Hewlett-Packard
OfficeJet G Series; 1284.3M:f7f,f7f; 1284.4DL:4d,4e,1;
VSTATUS:$HB0$NC0,ff,DN,IDLE,CUT,K0,C0,DP,NR,KP053,CP061; AiO:0; DW-PCL;
$ ptal-devid mlc:usb:OfficeJet_G85 -long -mfg -mdl -cmd
MFG:Hewlett-Packard; MDL:OfficeJet G85; CMD:MLC,PCL,PML,SCL;
$ ptal-devid mlc:usb:OfficeJet_G85 -short -mfg -mdl -cmd
Hewlett-Packard OfficeJet G85 MLC,PCL,PML,SCL
If no modifier or "query" switches are specified, then by default the
entire device ID string is displayed. Otherwise, only the requested
field(s) are queried. Blank lines are displayed in the place of
requested fields that aren’t present. The "-short" and "-long"
modifiers must be specified before the query options you want them to
affect. The "-previous" switch is useful for determining what model is
attached in cases where "ptal-mlcd" is unable to establish
communication with the device. It has no effect on JetDirect-connected
devices. If you specify "-previous", then it must come after the
device name (if specified) and before all other options. Currently,
both "ptal-mlcd" and JetDirect cache the device ID string, and the
device ID string is not re-read from the device each time you invoke
"ptal-devid". To get a fresh copy of the device ID string, you must
either power-cycle or disconnect/reconnect the device, both of which
interrupt the communication session with the device. However,
disconnecting/reconnecting the network cable will not help.