Provided by: inn2_2.5.2-1_i386
ovdb_init - Prepare ovdb database for use
This command must be run before any other process can access the
overview database. It performs the following steps:
1. Creates the database environment, if necessary
2. If the database is idle (and if the "-u" option is not specified),
it performs a normal recovery. The recovery will remove stale
locks, recreate the memory pool cache, and repair any damage caused
by a system crash or improper shutdown.
3. If the "-u" option is specified, it performs any necessary upgrades
to the database. See the UPGRADING section below.
4. Starts the DB housekeeping processes (ovdb_monitor) if they’re not
already running. (Unless the "-r" option is specified).
5. Starts the ovdb readserver (ovdb_server) processes if readserver in
ovdb.conf is true, and if they are not already running. (Unless
the "-r" option is specified).
Returns exit status of 0 if all steps were completed successfully. In
the event of an error, messages are written to syslog and/or stderr.
If a recovery was attempted but it failed, the database may be damaged
beyond repair, requiring a rebuild with makehistory(8).
This command is normally invoked automatically by rc.news(8).
It is OK to run this command multiple times.
Perform recovery only. "ovdb_monitor" is not started.
Perform any needed upgrades. Recovery is not attempted.
"ovdb_monitor" is started if the upgrade succeeded.
There are two situations in which the database will need to be
· You upgrade the Berkeley DB library to a newer version, for example
from 2.7.7 to 3.1.17. In this case, the Berkeley DB db->upgrade()
method is used.
· You upgrade ovdb to a newer major version; i.e., ovdb-1.0 to
In both of these cases, the database is upgraded in-place; and the
upgrade can not be undone. Do not interrupt the upgrade process once
it has started, because there is a risk of irrepairable corruption.
The upgrade may take several minutes to complete. If an upgrade does
get interrupted, try running the upgrade again.
Here’s an example procedure to upgrade a database created with
Berkeley DB 2.7.7 to use Berkeley DB 3.1.17:
1. Build and install the Berkeley DB 3.1.17;
2. Run configure in the INN source tree and make sure it picks up the
right Berkeley DB directory (e.g., /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.1);
3. Do a "make";
4. Shut down INN (e.g., with "rc.news stop") and be sure to kill all
instances of nnrpd as well;
5. Do a "make update" to install the new binaries;
6. Run "ovdb_init -u" as the news user;
7. Start INN with "rc.news".
It is OK to specify "-u" even if no upgrades are needed.
Written by Heath Kehoe <firstname.lastname@example.org> for InterNetNews.
$Id: ovdb_init.pod 7851 2008-05-26 19:33:08Z iulius $