Provided by: freebsd-manpages_8.2-1_all
xe — Xircom PCMCIA Ethernet device driver
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following line in your
kernel configuration file:
Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the
following line in loader.conf(5):
The xe driver supports PCMCIA Ethernet adapters based on Xircom CE2- and
CE3-class hardware. This includes devices made by Xircom along with
various OEM manufacturers.
Please note that the xe driver only supports PCMCIA cards and their
Ethernet functions. xe does not support the on-board modem device
located on some version of the Ethernet/modem combo cards. In
particular, Xircom RealPort2 cards are not supported by this driver.
The xe driver supports the following media types:
autoselect Enable autoselection of media type and options.
Select 10Mbps operation on a BNC coaxial connector.
Select 10Mbps operation on a RJ-45 connector.
100BaseTX Select 100Mbps operation.
Note that 100BaseTX operation is not available on CE2-class cards, while
the 10Base2/BNC mode is only available on CE2-class cards. Full-duplex
operation is currently not supported. For more information on
configuring network interface devices, see ifconfig(8).
The xe driver supports the following cards:
· Xircom CreditCard Ethernet (PS-CE2-10)
· Xircom CreditCard Ethernet + Modem 28 (PS-CEM-28)
· Xircom CreditCard Ethernet + Modem 33 (CEM33)
· Xircom CreditCard 10/100 (CE3, CE3B)
· Xircom CreditCard Ethernet 10/100 + Modem 56 (CEM56)
· Xircom RealPort Ethernet 10 (RE10)
· Xircom RealPort Ethernet 10/100 (RE100)
· Xircom RealPort Ethernet 10/100 + Modem 56 (REM56, REM56G)
· Accton Fast EtherCard-16 (EN2226)
· Compaq Microcom CPQ550 Ethernet/Modem PC Card
· Compaq Netelligent 10/100 PC Card (CPQ-10/100)
· Intel EtherExpress Pro/100 PC Card Mobile Adapter 16 (Pro/100 M16A)
· Intel EtherExpress Pro/100 LAN/Modem PC Card Adapter (Pro/100 M16B)
Other similar devices using the same hardware may also be supported.
xe%d: Cannot allocate ioport
xe%d: Cannot allocate irq A fatal initialization error occurred while
attempting to allocate system resources for the card.
xe%d: Unable to fix your %s combo card A fatal initialization error
occurred while attempting to attach an Ethernet/modem combo card.
xe%d: watchdog timeout: resetting card The card failed to generate an
interrupt acknowledging a transmitted packet. May indicate a PCMCIA
xe%d: no carrier The card has lost all contact with the network; this
usually indicates a cable problem.
The xe driver first appeared in FreeBSD 3.3.
The xe device driver was written by Scott Mitchell ⟨rsm@FreeBSD.org⟩.
This manual page was written by Scott Mitchell ⟨rsm@FreeBSD.org⟩, and Tom
Supported devices will fail to attach on some machines using the NEWCARD
PC Card framework.
Automatic media selection is usually unreliable.